Cameron notches up 115

Nanjing Night Net

A 300-PLUS total was enough for Black Stars to continue its dominance of the Mount Isa Cricket Association on Saturday.

Black Stars Trent Cameron scored a ton against Western Bulls on Saturday.

The ladders leaders extended their winning streak to 14 as they demolished Western Bulls by 117 runs.

Black Stars posted a score 9-302 at Captain Cook Oval, thanks to the strong platform laid by openers Trent Cameron and Kyle Keighery.

Cameron scorched a 115 and was assisted by in-form Keighery (53), who made his third successive half century.

Nathan Giles (42) and Ian Barlow (35) also made contributions with the bat to take Black Stars past 300.

Kyle Anderson, Nick Diamond and Adrian Morrisby each took three wickets but it was a long day in the field for the Bulls.

The Bulls were bowled out for 183 in reply.

Morrisby (35) and Wes Hall were the best Bulls with the bat.

Andrew Cullis took three wicks for 16 runs to be the pick of the Black Stars bowlers while Giles, Alistair Baker and Andrew Lawrenson all took two wickets apiece.

The day was also a success off the field for Black Stars with their Pink Stumps day raising more than $1000 for breast cancel and the McGrath Foundation.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Rain fails to dampen spirits at Maitland Show

RIDE ’EM COWBOY: Twins Cameron and Sean MacLachlan enjoy a camel ride at the show. Picture: Brock Perks
Nanjing Night Net

CAMEL rides, stunt cars and a mechanical bull were just some of the new features crowds flocked to see at Maitland Show.

This year’s ‘‘farmfest’’ themed show boasted record numbers of exhibitors in every category from handicrafts to cattle, said Maitland Show operations manager Amanda Winney.

The new events, combined with a renewed focus on agriculture, were aimed at delivering a ‘‘bigger and better show’’, Ms Winney said.

Despite a wet weekend, organisers estimated 12,000 people came through the gates between Friday and Sunday, up from about 9500 the previous year.

For the first time in at least six years, Maitland Show welcomed stunt cars back to the arena.

The daring displays by the Isuzo D-Max Driving team were extra hair-raising for local thrill-seekers who had won passenger seats in the show cars. Each display gave four residents the ‘‘ride of a lifetime’’, Ms Winney said.

‘‘The crowds loved the cars,’’ she said.

Boy hurt in quad bike accident

A NINE-year-old boy is recovering in hospital after being trapped under a quad bike at a station near Cloncurry on Thursday night.
Nanjing Night Net

The boy was flown to Mount Isa Hospital by the RACQ NQ Rescue Helicopter after crews went to the scene of the accident at a remote property south-east of Cloncurry, near Eloise Mine.

‘‘The young patient had been involved in a quad bike accident and was treated by QAS critical care flight paramedics before being airlifted back to Mount Isa Hospital in a stable condition,’’ RACQ NQ Rescue Helicopter CEO Alex Dorr said.

Mr Dorr said it was the third quad bike-related incident the rescue chopper had been called to in the past 12 months.

Ambulance crews arrived at the scene soon after the rescue helicopter and helped free the boy from under the bike, before treating him for injuries.

Queensland Ambulance Services superintendent Evan Kaddatz said crews took the boy to hospital with suspected back and chest injuries.

‘‘It had the potential to be quite a serious incident but it appears that luckily it wasn’t too serious,’’ he said.

A report by the University of Sydney’s Australian Centre for Agricultural Health and Safety has show 15 quad bike-related deaths were recorded in 2014, maintaining the 10-year average of 14 deaths annually.

Centre director Dr Tony Lower said of those deaths, 12 occurred on farms, with a further two involving cases on public roads where the quads were turning into or out of a farm.

He said the information highlighted the fatal mix of children and quads, with three cases involving children younger than 16.

‘‘There were also at least 86 injuries serious enough to be reported in the media, with many likely to be life-changing, including spinal and brain injuries,’’ he said.

QUAD BIKE: A young boy is recovering in hospital after a quad bike accident near Cloncurry.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Call to cut the coal

NEW mines should be banned in the Hunter and moves made to phase out the coal industry because of its damage to human health, which is costing the community more than $650million a year, a report prepared by health experts, academics and environmental scientists says.
Nanjing Night Net

The Climate and Health Alliance, which includes former Australians of the Year Professor Tim Flannery and Professor Fiona Stanley, will issue a letter to Premier Mike Baird on Monday calling on his government not to approve any new coal projects in the region.

The alliance’s report estimates the annual health costs from mining are $600million due to pollution from the Hunter’s power stations, $65.3million due to fine dust particle emissions from coal mines and power stations in the Upper Hunter and $13million from air pollution from coal in Newcastle.

The report argues that not enough is being done to protect residents from dust pollution which can cause serious respiratory problems and other illnesses. And though the industry is a big employer in the region, the letter cautions that the ‘‘social fabric’’ of the region and lives of residents had been disrupted by coal companies buying land for mining.

‘‘People’s health is at risk from declining air quality associated with coal mining, transportations and combustion,’’ the letter says.

‘‘The illnesses and deaths associated with air pollution from coal in the region are potentially costing taxpayers millions of dollars each year.’’

The report argues the continued expansion of the industry should be blocked to allow the development of alternative industries that are ‘‘safer for the local community and do not cause global harm’’.

The report uses previous estimates from research into the health costs of coal combustion and fine dust and applies those to the recent pollution levels detected in the region.

For example, very fine dust particles, known as ‘‘PM 2.5’’, had previously been costed at about $36,000 a tonne in health damages in Singleton.

This puts the cost of PM 2.5 particles emitted in Singleton in 2012-13 at about $47million.

The report also notes the amount of slightly larger dust particles, known as ‘‘PM 10’’, in 2012-13 was 96,000 tonnes.

That was more than 29times the amount produced by all of the state’s motor vehicles and four times the amount produced by bushfires, reduction burns and domestic fuel consumption.

Alliance president Liz Hanna, fellow of the National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, said the Hunter was the focus of the report because it was ‘‘the perfect storm’’ of coal expansion into agricultural and residential areas.

She described the government’s air quality monitoring network, which it often cites as addressing public concerns, as ‘‘tokenistic’’ when stricter regulation and comprehensive health studies were also needed.

She said it was ‘‘morally unjust’’ for the government to continue approving mines in the face of mounting evidence of health impacts.

‘‘The benefits and profits of mining go to a few and the public picks up the cost,’’ Dr Hanna said.

The NSW Environment Protection Authority is preparing a Lower Hunter particle characterisation study, which will provide information about the composition of dust particles in the region.

A 2010 report by NSW Health said the Hunter had higher-than-average rates of respiratory illness, but there was no conclusive link to air pollution.

Co-owner drives The Dip to front and never looked back

A SUPERB front-running drive from co-owner Nathan Ford has seen New Zealand horse The Dip claim the $10,000 North West Tasmanian Light Harness Association Cup at the Devonport Showgrounds last night.
Nanjing Night Net

FORWARD CHARGE: Nathan Ford drives New Zealand horse The Dip to claim the $10,000 North West Tasmanian Light Harness Association Cup at the Devonport Showgrounds last night. Picture: Meg Windram.

Racing out of its class, Ford took the gelding straight to the front from the standing start, enjoying a one-length lead over the first three laps of the 2645m journey.

With the pace starting to hot up as they made there way down the back straight for the final time, Ford and The Dip turned on the afterburners, racing away to win comfortably by six metres and pay $6.40.

Black Centurian, driven by Gareth Rattray was second, with Dodgermemate third.

Afterwards Ford said the pace set in the first half of the race suited him down to the ground.

“I was was a little bit confident because they let me get away with murder,” he said.

“I though I was going a little bit quick, but when I saw the first quarter come up in 33.9, I had a bit of a giggle to myself.”

Following it’s success last night, Ford said The Dip could be aimed at the Devonport Cup in a fortnight.

“He’s no star, but he flies away from a standing start and we will race him somewhere next week.

“He was racing out of his class and came up against some of the better horses, so we might target him at the Devonport Cup, he’s got good manners from the standing start and he’ll get the distance.”

Earlier in the night, Chopstix Boris produced a sizzling run from the back of the field to win the $10,000 Tasmanian Horse Transport Latrobe Cup.

Patiently driven by Adrian Collins, the four-year-old gelding had to go four-wide around the home turn, but such was his speed, the rest of the field never stood a chance, and he won by three lengths from of Supersub and Neonjet.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Jockey happy despite start

MOUNT Isa-owned Preferment might have finished third last in Saturday’s Hobartville Stakes – but he appears on track for upcoming assignments more to his liking.
Nanjing Night Net

Preferment, the Victoria Derby winner owned by Mount isa’s Linda and Graham Huddy, a $71 outsider in the group 2 feature at Rosehill, finished 11th of 13 runners beaten 7.4 lengths.

But jockey Jason Collett said he was happy enough with the run after the stayer bombed the start.

Preferment will be out to emulate Shoot Out’s feats of 2010 by winning the Randwick Guineas in the Huddy colours.

He will then press on to the ATC Derby.

But it was a determined Hallowed Crown that came out on top in a race that could set the tone for the rest of the autumn.

Saturday’s group 2 Hobartville Stakes (1400m) at Rosehill boasted four group 1 winners including the Bart and James Cummings-trained Hallowed Crown.

The colt was having his first start since his only defeat in the Roman Consul Stakes in October after his Golden Rose win.

His task seemed forlorn after he was shut out of a run at the top of the straight and had to come up the inside.

But under vigorous riding from Hugh Bowman, Hallowed Crown ($5.50) raised an effort in the final 100m to get the decision over Sweynesse ($8.50) by a half neck.

Kermadec ($10) finished another half-head third with favourite Shooting To Win ($3.60) a close fourth.

‘‘You don’t get given these races and he has proved what a good colt he is by beating a star-studded line-up,’’ James Cummings said.

‘‘Hugh Bowman is a tenacious jockey and Hallowed Crown is the most determined horse I’ve seen.

‘‘There’s not much between those horses and he is a winner. He just turns up on race day and I came here with confidence.’’

While many of his opposition will be heading towards the ATC Australian Derby, Bowman believes Hallowed Crown’s best distance will be 1600m.

‘‘I’m thinking he is a miler,’’ he said.

‘‘He is a very exciting colt and he’s a winner.

‘‘Although I didn’t get the run I was going for, I lost no momentum and he did the job.’’

Many of the same horses will line up again in the group 1 Randwick Guineas (1600m) in two weeks.

‘‘We will go to the Guineas and then I don’t think he would be out of place in the George Ryder at weight-for-age,’’ Cummings said.

‘‘He is building a profile. When you find a good colt you have to look after them and place them well.

‘‘Not many horses have a record of five wins from six starts and we want to add to that.’’

Hallowed Crown will eventually stand at Darley Stud with Sheikh Mohammed buying into him after the Golden Rose.

The other partner is Gooree Park Stud, the Australian operation of Eduardo Cojuangco, grandfather of Cummings’s wife Monica.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Police investigate fatal crash in Gillingarra

One person has died and one person was flown to hospital in Perth after a crash in Gillingarra on Sunday. Major Crash investigators are seeking the public’s assistance with their investigation into afatal crash in Gillingarra on Sunday morning.
Nanjing Night Net

At about 2am, a grey Holden Commodore wagon travelling in a southerly direction along Bindoon-Moora Road, has left the road and collided with a tree approximately 25 kilometressouth of Moora near Boxhall Road.

St John Ambulance and Department of Fire and Emergency Services were also called to thescene.

The male driver sustained serious injuries and was air lifted to Royal Perth Hospitalby the RAC Rescue Helicopter.

The passenger did not survive and passed away atthe scene.

Police would like to speak to anyone who saw the grey Holden Commodore wagon beforethe crash, or anyone with information about the crash is asked to call Crime Stoppers on1800 333 000.

Meet Newcastle’s youngest councillor

Nanjing Night Net

POLLS: Declan Clausen is ready to take his place on Newcastle City Council and claims a mandate critics say barely exists. Picture: Dean Osland

NEWLY-elected councillor Declan Clausen has promised to bring a back-to-basics agenda to Newcastle council when he officially gets a seat at City Hall later this week.

The 22-year-old became the youngest person ever elected to the council when he won Saturday’s ward three byelection in a much tighter race than expected.

Mr Clausen secured almost 43per cent of the primary vote, about 850 votes ahead of independent candidate Kath Elliott.

He said the result was ‘‘a mandate’’ to restore the services that were ‘‘cut by the McCloy council’’.

His critics, though, said no mandate existed when 57per cent of electors voted against him, and funding those services will push the council back towards the insolvency it was facing two years ago.

‘‘I want to focus on the basics like roads and footpaths,’’ Mr Clausen said. ‘‘I know they’re not very interesting things but they’re the things that most people talked to me about during the campaign.

‘‘I want to clear the backlog of works and focus on delivering services like libraries and pools.’’

Asked about the council’s finances, he said he has ‘‘a good understanding’’ of the council’s financial position but ‘‘I’ll have a better understanding when I can get access’’ to the council’s books.

His election cements the balance of power on the council for the Labor-Greens alliance which occupies seven of the council’s 13 seats.

The former Lambton High School captain and Young Labor president is a former Newcastle Young Citizen of the Year and played leading roles in environmental initiatives such as ClimateCam and TogetherToday.

Ms Elliott, the former Newcastle Alliance chief, congratulated Mr Clausen but added ‘‘this is not a mandate for Labor … they need to listen to the whole community’’.

‘‘I gave people an alternative choice and a lot of people voted for change,’’ she said. ‘‘If [independent candidate] Allan Warren didn’t run, I’d have won … but unfortunately we’re going to see Labor getting the council back into the red. You can’t keep spending and putting rates up by 50per cent and expect that everything is going to be okay.’’

At the close of counting on Sunday, Mr Clausen had polled 8124 (42.95per cent) first preferences, followed by Ms Elliott on 7256 (38.37per cent). Final counts and preferences will be determined before he is officially declared the winner on Wednesday. His first official council meeting will be held on March 17.

The Greens’ Nevenka Bareham polled 1969 (10.41per cent), followed by independent Allan Warren on 1170 (6.19per cent) and Arjay Martin on 394 (2.08per cent).

Protection from floods promised

Wallsend flooding in 2008.Greens NSW MP John Kaye and Wallsend Greens candidate Aleona Swegen announced the plans on Sunday to bring state funding through for the project if elected late next month.
Nanjing Night Net

Dr Kaye said the council had a plan supported by experts and Wallsend residents ready to go, and the government should put ‘‘at least $25million’’ towards building refuges, early warning systems and a response plan.

‘‘It’s now time to start work before another deluge threatens life and damages buildings,’’ Dr Kaye said.

‘‘If the Baird government stopped its scandalous squandering of hundreds of millions of dollars cutting Newcastle’s rail line, it could easily cover the entire cost of the plan, with plenty left over to spend on other areas of genuine need.’’

The Wallsend Centre Floodplain Risk Management Plan was approved in 2009 but awaits implementation.

Ms Swegen said flooding through the CBD during the 2007 Pasha Bulker storm had done irreparable damage.

‘‘Households and businesses were affected for years after [that] event and some shop-owners never returned.’’

Concern for jobs of tradies caught up in licence gaffe

LOCAL union leaders are hopeful a Victoria police gaffe that incorrectly disqualified almost 200 Victorians’ driving licences hasn’t impacted local tradespeople.
Nanjing Night Net

Police recently announced 195 drivers aged 26 or older erroneously had their licences cancelled since 2007, with seven still disqualified.

Ballarat Trades and Labour Council president Brett Edgington said young tradespeople in particular were vulnerable to a loss of licence. “It’s basically their livelihood. It’s pretty much your apprenticeship gone,” said Mr Edgington, who suggested it was unclear if any jobs had been lost locally because of the blunder.

A police audit found some officers had applied an incorrect code when issuing an infringement for those with a blood alcohol level of between 0.05 per cent and 0.07 per cent.

Mr Edgington said access to a vehicle was crucial for local tradespeople, especially as local construction work had dried up.

“We’ve had people travelling to Ararat and Malmsbury, and now a lot of workers are heading to Bendigo to work on the hospital,” he said.

Assistant Commissioner for Road Policing Robert Hill said relevant training methods and educational materials would be revised.

“Obviously, it’s concerning when we identify a member error of this nature. It’s a significant responsibility and action to remove someone’s licence to drive. We understand the impact this may have had on the livelihood of some people

and have taken immediate steps to rectify the situation,” he said.

Assistant Commissioner Hill said infringement notices would be checked twice and independently in the future to ensure the correct sanction had been imposed.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.