Oscars 2015: Jennifer Aniston and partner Justin Theroux. Picture: Getty Images
TweetFacebook●Oscars 2015: List of winners
CATE Blanchett had everyone swooning over her turquoise statement necklace, while Margot Robbie looked effortlessly chic in Yves Saint Laurent.
But unfortunately Nicole Kidman let team Australia down in the style stakes, with the Twittersphere going nuts over her sequined Louis Vuitton gold dress with a red belt.
Indeed her frock will sadly land her on Oscars worst dressed lists, with the material looking more appropriate for an aerobics competition costume than a red carpet gown.
The side split further cheapened the look and the only saving grace of her ensemble was her natural looking make-up and chic bob.
‘‘Uhh is Nicole Kidman’s dress a hologram? #Oscars,’’ RachKenney tweeted.
‘‘Is Nicole Kidman wearing a weird mermaid/gold foil dress? You’re as pale as me … not a great colour. #oscars,’’ DavisAmber1018 said.
‘‘Nicole Kidman looks like her dog peed on her dress #Oscars,’’ thebitch-files said.
‘‘Nicole Kidman’s dress is something I would beg my mom to let me wear when I was 9 #Oscars #Oscars2015,’’ stephwisewhatup added.
In stark contrast, Robbie and Blanchett were among the best dressed celebrities on the red carpet.
Robbie’s black gown featured a plunging draped neckline and sheer long sleeves.
The Wolf of Wall Street star accessorised the dress perfectly with a Van Cleef & Arpels diamond and sapphire tassel zipper pendant, reportedly worth a cool $US1.5million, statement red lipstick and her blonde locks worn in a sleek bob.
‘‘This necklace is worth more than my life,’’ Robbie said.
Blanchett schooled us all in how to wear a statement necklace well.
She wore a Margiela by John Galliano elegant black dress but the real star of her outfit was the enormous Tiffany & Co. turquoise collar necklace.
Blanchett wisely opted to wear her hair in an elegant but relaxed up-do and her make-up neutral to let her jewellery do the talking.
Watts’ Armani dress made her look like she was wrapped in a glittery brick wall.
The Birdman star’s daring outfit featured a cut out back with a black panel and shimmering silver rectangles.
She wore her blonde locks in a relaxed wave and burgundy coloured lipstick was the focus of her make-up.
PHOTOS: Hollywood stars take to the red carpet for the 87th Academy Awards.
Norman Creek at Stones Corner overflowed on Saturday after the deluge. Photo: Glenn Hunt/Getty ImagesCyclone response ramps upEarly insurance claims exceed 4000Turtles stay put as cyclone rages overheadTown waits for help days after cyclone
A number of flooded roads across Queensland’s south east remain closed on Monday, following heavy rainfall in the wake of ex-Cyclone Marcia.
The Sunshine Coast and areas north of Brisbane copped the heaviest falls late last week and over the weekend, with Caboolture receiving 576 millimetres.
Toorbul received 541mm.
The falls weren’t quite as high in Brisbane but still managed to blitz the average monthly rainfall average for February in just two days.
Boondall, in the city’s north, received the biggest falls, according to the Bureau of Meteorology, with 281 millimetres.
Brisbane Airport’s rain gauge recorded 260 millimetres, while the CBD received 228 millimetres.
Brisbane’s average February rainfall is 157.9 millimetres.
The Sunshine Coast received some of the region’s biggest rainfall totals over the three days from Thursday.
Hinterland town Maleny received 460 millimetres, Nambour 445 millimetres and Kallangur 431mm.
More than 20 roads throughout the Sunshine Coast Regional Council area remain closed and many more remain affected by floodwater.
The Gold Coast was spared some of the heavier falls, the highest recorded total south of Brisbane being at Coolangatta with 199 millimetres.
Bureau meteorologist Ilona Coote said there would be more rain in the south east this week, though only isolated showers were expected.
“There’s a fairly strong southerly airflow pushing up the coast,” she said.
“Rainfall amounts are not going to be anything like what they have been, but we do have isolated showers and storms possible tomorrow.
“There is likely to be showers for the rest of the week and isolated thunderstorms for the most part. This week we are looking [at] partly cloudy, mostly sunny conditions.”
Current road closures due to flooding in Greater Brisbane:Browns Creek Road, NarangbaChermside Road near Herbert Street, Mango HillKobble Creek Road, Kobble CreekCurtis Road near Cedar Creek Road and Gordons Road Lower and Upper Crossings, Cedar CreekLees Crossing Road and Juffs Road West, DatboroOld Gympie Road near Twin View Road, ElimbahChardon Bridge Road between Beenleigh Road and Plunkett Road, Cedar CreekBeaudesert-Beenleigh Road, WolffdeneGap Creek Road, between Brookfield Road and Dillon Road, Kenmore HillsUpper Brookfield Road, Gold Creek Road, Boscombe Road and Rafting Ground Road, BrookfieldIllaweena Street between Wembley Road and Gowan Road, DrewvaleParadise Road, Larapinta
* If you have weather pics you would like to share, please email them [email protected]南京夜网.au, text them to 0414 284 637, or share them via Facebook.
Stay informed. Like the Brisbane Times Facebook page.
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.
AUSGRID workers have formally given notice of a four-hour work stoppage nextTuesday as part of workplace negotiations.
The Electrical Trades Union said Hunter workers pushed for the March 3 industrial action over concerns stemming from a workplace agreementthe union argues would protect jobs in the region being rejected by the company’s management.
The union claims that up to 572 jobs could be lost in the Hunter if cuts mooted in late 2014 were spread equally among NSW depots.
That would result in a 44 per cent cut to the Hunter’s workforce comprising 431 job losses at Wallsend, 24 in Cessnock, 30 in Maitland and 87 in the Upper Hunter.
ETU secretary Steve Butler said workers’ offer to accept a 2.5 per cent pay rise and retain existing provisions was rejected.
“Local power workers were left with no choice but to take this action after the Baird Government and management at Ausgrid refused to agree to maintaining existing job protections including no forced redundancies,” ETU secretary Steve Butler said.
“Industrial action is an absolute last resort, but faced with the Liberal’s privatisation plans, and warnings of massive job cuts from Networks NSW, local workers feel it is the only option they have available.’’
Mr Butler said a formal notice had been lodged with Ausgrid, notifying the company that staff from Newcastle, the wider Hunter, Central Coast and Sydney would stop work for four hours.
“This industrial action is not about inconveniencing the general public, it is about ensuring the government and management provide job security ahead of the Baird Government’s electricity privatisation,’’ Mr Butler said.
“Our members will respond to all blackouts and supply interruptions on this occasion, regardless of circumstances, to ensure consumers are not caught in the middle of this escalating dispute.”
An Ausgrid spokeswoman said the company did not support industrial action, noting the union’s comments that workers would respond to major incidents to protect customers.
“Ausgrid has engaged in good faith bargaining over new enterprise agreements for our workers, so the unions’ decision to stop work on March 3 is disappointing,” she said.
“We want to secure jobs for our employees while delivering efficiencies to keep downward pressure on electricity prices for families and businesses.”
“But we cannot resolve union demands until we know our final revenue to be approved by the Australian Energy Regulator in April 2015.”
WINNERS: Peter Rogers and the Telangatuk East team had a win against Horsham Lawn in A Special on Saturday. Picture: PAUL CARRACHERIF THERE were any doubts about Kalkee’s premiership defence before the weekend, there aren’t anymore.
The Kees sent a message to the rest of the competition with a 14-126 to 0-64 win against Drung South White in the penultimate round of the home and away season.
It was the best possible response to a round 14 performance that saw Kalkee go down 10 sets to four to St Michael’s while missing several key players.
The Kees’ performance on Saturday was made all the more impressive by the fact it was still missing regular players Anna Lehmann and Steve Schultz.
Drung South White’s Janelle Knight said her team did not play badly – Kalkee simply outplayed it.
‘‘It was pretty positive when you look at the individual scores from each set,’’ she said.
‘‘I thought we were quite competitive, but when I looked at the final scores I said, ‘wow, we didn’t win a set’.
‘‘I think they are definitely the premiership favourites after that performance, especially since they had a couple of very good players out.’’
Knight praised young number one man Dylan Emmerson, who battled hard against Kalkee’s Jeff Friberg in the singles.
Although the final score read 9-5, Emmerson pushed Friberg into long rallies and challenged arguably the best male player in the competition.
Horsham Lawn all but ended Drung South Blue’s finals chances by defeating it 9-107 to 5-85.
The teams were equal on points before the round, but Lawn now has a four-point buffer and a percentage advantage of about 14 per cent with only one round remaining.
A strong performance from Horsham Lawn’s men got the job done.
Led by Jae McGrath, who won against Drung South’s number one man Lachie King in the singles, Lawn won all seven men’s rubbers.
Drung South Blue got on the board in the women’s section with Kate-Lyn Perkin and Vicki Ahilaras winning their singles rubbers, but they could not reel Lawn’s lead in.
St Michael’s got its nose in front of Central Park in the race for second place on the ladder with a 8-109 to 6-94 win.
The Saints’ strong women’s line-up led the team to victory by winning six of its seven rubbers.
Steffi McDonald and Kassie Peachey led the way in the singles, winning 9-3 and 9-6 respectively.
Central Park’s Carly Werner and Hollie Purdue were the lone women to win a rubber for their side, downing Peachey and Naomi McConville in a tiebreaker.
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.
GALLERY: Muswellbrook school captains and principals 2015 MUSWELLBROOK HIGH SCHOOL: Principal Elizabeth Bate, prefect Thomas Hogan, vice-captain Josie Whitten, captain Bayley Carter, prefect Elizabeth Symington, vice-captain Alexander Armstrong, acting deputy principal Narelle Smith and deputy principal Brian Drewe.
MUSWELLBROOK PUBLIC SCHOOL: Captain Chynna Eriksson, vice-captains Meg Southcombe and Jared Kermond, and captain Jude Sansom.
MUSWELLBROOK CHRISTIAN SCHOOL: School captain Lachlan Ellis, principal David O’Hara and captain Jacinta Norris.
MUSWELLBROOK SOUTH PUBLIC SCHOOL: (Back from left) principal Karen Rayner, prefect Tarni Pereira, prefect Lily Miller, vice-captain Meloday Datson, captain Georgia Hutchings, (front from left), prefect Colby Woodeson, prefect Ronin Roslirollo, vice-captain Kohen Hall, captain Liam Galvin.
ST JAMES’ PRIMARY SCHOOL: Vice-captain Hannah Gee, principal Niamh Marzol, and captains Isabelle Dimmock and Hayden Portolan. Absent: Vice-captain Declan O’Sullivan.
TweetFacebookThis story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.